AN OPTIMAL INTRODUCTION TO
DEFINING DATA REQUIREMENTS
A 1-day course, that shows you how to bridge the technical-business divide when gathering business users data requirements.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
I’M A BUSINESS ANALYST
- Understand BI vs. APP requirements
- Know the BI lifecycle
- Learn a common BI-specific language
- Handover without re-translation
- Repeatable framework
- Document the right level of detail
I’M A DESIGNER / DEVELOPER
- Requirements that look dimensional
- Framework to ask clarification questions
- Cumulative build (less rework)
- Know the context of data requirements
- Framework for prioritising needs
- Better estimates of effort to deliver
I’M A REPORT DEVELOPER
- Upfront input into the data model
- Enable self-service BI
- Build on others reports
- Faster reporting based on dimensions
- Learn how to gather BI requirements
- Enable better communication with users
BEAM* YOUR DATA REQUIREMENTS
The BEAM* method helps close the gap between business user requirements and data warehouse design. The data warehouse modeling space is relatively mature. You can be confident that you have access to design solutions for any business processes scenario you will encounter. The thing we aren’t good at, as a profession, is collecting unambiguous requirements and slotting those requirements into proven designs.
An Introduction to BEAM* – Outline what Business Event Analysis and Modeling is and what business problems it aims to solve.
Modelling BEAM Tables – Learn how to use the BEAM templates to model business events and dimensions.
Defining Events – Explore more complex business events and workshop a number of scenarios to solidify your understanding. Learn how to capture requirements for Discrete, Recurring and Evolving events.
Documenting Detail – Use the BEAM templates to capture detailed data attribute requirements and cover advanced scenarios such as documenting hierarchies.
Event Matrix and Timelines – Learn how an event matrix ties events and dimensions together enabling participants to check the completeness of the overall data model. You will then use the event matrix to prioritise the agile delivery of the data.
Dealing with Change – Learn how to maintain the data model as source systems and business processes change.
The course time is split 60% lecture and 40% exercises.
Download a PDF brochure for more information.
Attending the 1-day training is NZD $1,000 (+gst) per participant
Tuesday 7 May, 2019
Thursday 27 June, 2019