Kia ora koutou and welcome to the last OptimalBI newsletter of 2019 – hasn’t this year flown by!
Did you know
BEAM* allows you to model collaboratively! This helps with scope, prioritisation, by helping the business identify events and determine how they’re to be measured, and most importantly – the collaboration creates shared ownership of the solution.
There’s a 1 day introduction to defining data requirements and data modelling course (a.k.a BEAM*) scheduled for Thursday 13 February in Wellington.
Reporting Jira data in PowerBI
- Understand what data is available from Jira REST API’s
- Get data into PowerBI and transform it
- Build a prototype report
How to identify rips
Summer means lots of swimming and beach trips! Keep safe by choosing a patrolled beach and stay between the flags.
Brush up on how to spot a rip, and what to do if you do get caught in one before you hit the water.
Apache Superset on Linux
An innovative open source eco system surrounding PrestoDB built by Airbnb, which supports visualisation, data exploration and collaboration.
Data Vault and the Ensemble Logical Model
Early bird registrations are available until February 11.
Data Science Pioneers
We recently hosted 3 sold-out-screenings of the Data Science Pioneers documentary in Wellington as part of the All about BI Meetup group and spread the data science joy in Christchurch as well!
If you missed out, don’t worry, just drop us a line – we can host a screening and Q&A session at your workplace (email@example.com) in the new year.
One theme that is discussed in the documentary is data privacy. There’s a Netflix show called The Great Hack you should watch, and also listen to RNZ’s Kim Hill interview of Cambridge Analytica whistleblower, Brittany Kaiser, who’s just released a book: Targeted.
Meet Steve, he’s been part of the OptimalBI team for almost a year, where he makes sure our customers are happy. Steve loves sunshine so much, he’s ditched wet and windy Welly for the Kapiti Coast and will spend the summer planting natives, exploring some coastal walks and BBQing. Sounds awful!
Connect with Steve Thomas on LinkedIn.
- Start 2020 off with some training. There’s a BEAM* 1 day workshop on February 13, an ELM workshop on March 16, plus a Data Vault Certification course on March 18.
- If you missed out on the Data Science Pioneers documentary screening, why not arrange one with a Q&A session at your workplace in the New Year? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help.
- The end of the year, that’s what! We hope you all have an enjoyable holiday break, stay safe, and see you in 2020!
Have a great day and summer,
~ The OptimalBI team.