This is part 2 of my Beginners guide to learning Qlik Sense, Part 1 can be found here. In the first 8 video we covered a lot of ground so if you’re unfamiliar with any of the following, I suggest you go give it a look.
- Know the difference between Dimensions and Measures (resource 1)
- Know what each of the menus to the left of the edit screen do (video 1)
- Add data to our Apps (video 1, 3)
- Creating Apps, Sheets and Visualisations (video 1, 3, 5)
- Bucketing data (video 2, 4)
- Create calculated fields (video 2, 4)
- Simple edit data before load (video 3, 4)
- Style our Apps. Title, logo, name, colour etc. (video 4)
- Add alternative Measures and Dimensions (video 4)
- Form data associations (video 4)
- Create reference lines (video 4)
- Search visualizations (video 5)
- Convert Graphs (Video 5)
- Create Master Items (video 5)
- Style our visualizations layout (video 5)
- Use Data Storytelling (video 6, 7)
- Export and share Qlik apps (8)
If you’re familiar with all of the above, or if you’ve come to terms with skipping the important stuff lets keeps going. Don’t let the fact that there’s only 6 videos fool you, two of them are an hour long and packed with all sorts of knowledge-bombs.
Video 9: Qlik Sense Desktop – Global Smart Search
A quick and simple demonstration of Qliks Global Smart Search. This allows you to add filters to graphs in a single search query. Pretty neat.
Video 10: Qlik Sense – Working with Selections
This video cover something call Green-White-Grey. This is a feature when selecting data where Green highlights selected data, White highlights related data, Light Grey highlights other possible data, and Dark Grey highlights unrelated data.
Video 11: Qlik Sense Collaboration
Streams are not only a flowing body of water, they are also the feature Qlik Sense uses when collaborating in a team. Streams represent a body of work which multiple people draw from and edit. Collaborations and Data Stories are also touched on. This video is more of a introduction and a bit of a advertisement, but still helpful nonetheless.
Video 12: Mobility with Qlik Sense
Another introduction/advertisement. Handy to know and not a long video, but it isn’t super important.
Webinar 1: Qlik Sense – Getting Started Webinar 3.0
Get the popcorn ready because this is a long one. This webinar covers a lot of new material including more complex table associations, custom widgets, and drill downs. If there was going to be one video you watch, this should be it.
Webinar 2: Do more with Qlik Sense – Tips and Tricks Webinar
I want to say I take back my comment about the previous video and say this one is the one you should watch. But the fact of the matter is, for a complete beginner, you need the first video before watching this video. That being said, this video introduces some very helpful tools such as random data generation, using extensions, expression variables, class() function, and set analysis.
Part 2 Conclusion
So that’s the end of the second part. We have covered a fair bit of ground again, so it’s time for another sanity check. What have we covered?
- Global smart search of variables (video 9, webinar 1)
- Collaboration with Qlik Sense (video 11)
- Qlik Streams (video 11)
- Using Qlik on mobile devices (video 12)
- Know what Green, White, and shade of Grey represent (video 10)
- In depth data load (webinar 1)
- In depth data associations (webinar 1)
- In depth visualization customization (webinar 1)
- Global selections list (webinar 1)
- Exporting sheets (webinar 1)
- Master dimensions (webinar 1)
- Write basic functions for measures and dimensions (webinar 1)
- Writing custom widgets with HTML (webinar 1)
- Generating random data (webinar 2)
- Connecting Qlik and Dropbox (webinar 2)
- Embed Qlik Sense into WordPress (webinar 2)
- Installing Qlik plugins (webinar 2)
- Colour by expression (webinar 2)
- CrossTable (webinar 2)
- Class() function (webinar 2)
- Aggr() function (webinar 2)
- FirstSortedValue() function (webinar 2)
- Set analysis (webinar 2)
If you’ve found this helpful, part 3 will be published next week.
From hard data to fluid design – Scott
Dimensions vs Measures – http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/2.0/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Introduction/what-are-dimensions-measures.htm
Hidden Functions – http://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/12.1/Subsystems/Client/Content/ChartFunctions/Functions.htm