Who is Attunity Replicate for?
Attunity Replicate is for anybody who wants to move data easily, securely and efficiently with minimal operational impact. As Attunity put it ‘Traditional Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) solutions are buckling under the load and no longer meeting typical business requirements.’ If this is a problem you are facing then Attunity may well have the solution. As the company says Attunity Replicate provides ‘high-performance data replication and loading, with an easy-to-use, intuitive user interface.’
What’s the difference between Attunity Replicate and Replicate Express?
Replicate Express is the free trial version of Attunity Replicate. As such it does the same job that Attunity Replicate does, replicating data. It also has many of the same features. Replicate Express isn’t a replacement for Attunity Replicate.
- Is compatible with all major databases, data warehouses and Hadoop, on-premises and in the cloud.
- Works without the need to install software.
- Automates schema & DDL replication, snapshot replication (full load) and incremental replication (change data capture)
- Does not require a licence
However, there are some limitations on what Replicate Express can do:
- You can process up to 250,000 records per day
- Only one task can run at a given time
The following features are exclusive to Attunity Replicate:
- Task Scheduler
- File Transfer Service
- Ability to modify user profiles
Why would you get Replicate Express?
If you are considering Attunity Replicate then Replicate Express is an excellent way to trial this tool and see if it meets your needs. Attunity Replicate is an enterprise tool so the limitations on Replicate Express mean that it isn’t suitable for most workloads in a production environment. However, Replicate Express does enable you to experience Attunity’s enterprise performance for change data capture (CDC). Upgrading to full Attunity Replicate is easy because it all that is needed is the licence. Attunity Replicate does not require software to be downloaded and when upgrading from Replicate Express to Attunity Replicate there is no need to recreate tasks.
How do you do it and what support is there?
As you would expect Attunity makes signing up for a trial and getting things going as easy as possible.
- If you would like to try Replicate Express you can start a free trial.
- Attunity provides a step by step guide to getting started with a demo video included.
- Attunity has an active member forum which has a section dedicated to supporting Replicate Express so if you get stuck you can probably find the answers you need there.
So, what are you waiting for? Give it a go.
Success is preparation meets opportunity – Jack
Jack blogs about community, social media and how all this data stuff impacts the rest of us
We run regular business intelligence courses in both Wellington and Auckland.